Blueberry Crumble Bars
- 1 1/2 cup blueberries
- 2 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp Sweetener (erythritol or coconut sugar works)
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum (or 1 tsp of arrowroot starch)
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup Sweetener (erythritol or coconut sugar works)
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tbsp hemp seed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp butter, melted (or coconut oil)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the blueberries and water. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat and simmer 10 minutes. Slightly mash berries.
2. Whisk in the sweetener, and then sprinkle the xanthan gum while whisking and combine. Let cool.
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Line an 8×8 with parchment.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, coconut, sweetener, coconut flour, and salt.
3. Stir in the melted butter and the vanilla extract until the dough begins to create clumps. If this does not happen and your mixture still seems dry, add butter or coconut oil a tbsp at a time until clumps or small clusters/balls form.
4. Press half of the mixture firmly into the bottom of the lined pan so it covers. Bake 10 minutes, then remove from the oven and let cool 10 minutes.
5. Spread the crust with the blueberry mixture and sprinkle with the remaining crust mixture. Press the top crust into the filling lightly to adhere but don’t break up the crumble and balls. Just press so the mixture doesn’t fall off after it is baked.
6. Bake another 20 minutes, or until lightly golden and bubbly. Remove and let cool completely. Makes 9-12 bars.
1. This can be eaten as a breakfast/brunch item or top with whip cream and serve for dessert. Keep the sweetener on the lower side for breakfast.
2. Other ingredients could be added to the topping after pressing in the bottom. A tsp of cinnamon or a 1/4 of walnuts of pecan pieces would work.
3. This would also work if you exchanged the blueberries for other berries or did a combination. Even chopped apples would work if you added more water for them to cook off the start.
Share Your Thoughts