Hungarian Goulash Stew
*Keto and Paleo friendly
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup celery root or zucchini
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 lb ground lamb or venison (or beef)
- 1/4 cup butter or olive oil
- 1 tbsp paprika powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper, opt
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp crushed caraway seeds (dill will work if you don’t have caraway)
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1½ tsp red wine vinegar
- Peel and chop the vegetables.
- Sauté the onion and garlic, with the oil or butter (especially with the wild game as it tends to be very lean), in heavy pan over medium heat until softened.
- Add the ground meat and sauté, stirring occasionally, until cooked through and browned.
- Add the bell pepper, celery root (rutabaga or zucchini), paprika, cayenne, oregano, caraway, salt and pepper. Stir for about 1 minute. Pour in the tomatoes and 2 cups of water.
- Increase the heat and bring the soup to a light boil. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add remaining water and vinegar before serving.
- Serve with finely chopped parsley and dollop of sour cream or 30 second mayo if dairy free. Serve over cauliflower rice.
*For higher carb option, replace celery root with rutabaga or potatoes. Steamed beets also work well.