The questions from women in sheer panic have been pouring in.
“Karen – HELP!! – how I do I navigate Christmas without eating all the goodies..OR drinking wine and baileys… OR eating all that stuffing?”
It’s almost Christmas and a lot of people make this the time of year to fill their face with food, sit on their butt, sip on baileys and coffee for breakfast and ride that booze train all the way to New Year’s Day. Only to feel fat, bloated, tired and depressed that they let everything go over the holidays.
What if you decided to do it differently this year?
What if you could still enjoy some of the indulgences and not gain an extra 10 pounds and still feel good? Is it possible?….absolutely! That is why I have created these tips and tricks to get you through the holiday season unscathed.
1.Drop the panic
I will never forget the client that was on edge of her chair confessing to me that she was so afraid of going to her kid’s friend’s birthday parties because she was tempted by all the cupcakes and chips? You would think I was a catholic priest demanding this woman’s confession.
Drop the panic, ladies! These things are always going to be a part of your life whether it be Christmas, birthday parties or going out for dinner. Learn to navigate these situations so you never have to panic again. If you head into them freaking out, guess what?… you will eat everything in site! You will be so worried about it that you end up doing just the opposite to relieve your stress!
2.Get off the ‘all or nothing’ wagon
One of the biggest mistakes people make in their quest for health is the attitude that it should be all or nothing. You’re either working out five days a week or none at all. You’re eating cake every day or only carrot sticks. This can set you up for failure with anything in life including the holiday season. Live by the 80/20 rule for example instead of drinking and eating your face off this season pick your poison. Have a few drinks with family and friends, but stay off the cookies and chocolate. If you love the sweets at Christmas, then stay clear of the alcohol. Choose to eat healthy (good proteins, no gluten, healthy fats, low carbohydrate, lots of veggies and fruit) for your three main meals of the day then having some cookies or wine won’t matter as much. Make it a daily rule that 80% of the time you eat well the other 20% is up to you!
3.You can walk
If you can’t manage the gym over the holidays get outside and walk. Go sledding with your kids, build a snowman, drop and do 20 push ups just randomly throughout the day. Just do something! Make a plan that everyday over the holiday season you will do at least 20 minutes of activity
(even if it’s just a walk) Trust me – you will thank me for it.
That’s right I said bake! Instead of baking your usual cookies and tarts why not look up some new recipes for grain free, no refined sugar baked goods. There are tons of alternatives out there and you’re much better off with a crust less pumpkin pie than a gluten one. Here is my mother-in-law’s delicious crustless, no refined sugar pumpkin pie. You won’t even know the bad stuff isn’t there.
2 cups or 15 oz can of pumpkin
1 can coconut milk
1/3 cup of honey
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp of each nutmeg, cloves and ginger
1 tablespoon coconut flour or almond flour
Mix all together put in a greased pie plate and bake at 350 for an hour or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool and chill before serving.
This time of year is full of social gatherings from office parties to family get togethers, all reasons for staying up late and not getting a good night sleep. Not getting enough sleep and feeling tired lead to cravings for sugar, laziness and in attempt to feel better and more drinking. This year have a plan, give yourself a curfew and stick to it. Force yourself to take a nap and/or sleep in. You want to aim for getting at least 7-8 hours within a 24 hour period.
If you took time off during this holiday season don’t fill your calendar with nonstop social obligations and be sure to take some YOU time. Everyday set aside a block of time where you refill your cup (not literally) for instance get a good novel to read, watch a good
Netflix series, do some yoga, write in your journal whatever it is but something that recharges you.
Do you want to know what I said to that young lady panicking about those cupcakes? I told her “I look forward to birthday parties, Christmas and Thanksgiving for just those reasons! It is my opportunity to enjoy something sweet”. That’s just it if you eat well 80% of the time you can use that other 20% to indulge during these occasions. Follow these guidelines and come January you will be running out the starting gates instead of rolling. Merry Christmas everyone.